I have half an hour
1. Write a letter to Congress. This site will tell you exactly how to do it. What should you write about? That's up to you. But ONE can also tell you about worthy and timely issues.
2. Improve your vocabulary and help end hunger at the same time. Each correct answer at FreeRice is worth ten grains of rice which is donated through the UN World Food Programme. And it isn't just about vocabulary. You can also test your skills in Art, Chemistry, Human Anatomy, English, Geography, Math, SAT prep and four different languages.
3. Oceana works to protect the world's oceans. And since oceans can't speak, they have set up a great page that gives you a way to speak FOR the oceans. On their Take Action page, you can find information about current issues and opportunities to voice your concerns to lawmakers and companies. Think blue!
4. Spend thirty minutes at Refugees International, which was established in 1979. They provide assistance and protection for displaced people and promote solutions to displacement crises. There is a lot to read on this site. As they say on the site, they are a powerful voice for lifesaving action. Who could not want to help with a mission like this?
5. The American Bird Conservancy is a highly rated organization that works to protect the habitats of birds all over the world. Spend half an hour reading and seeing if there are ways for you to help on their Action Page.
6. Feeling creative? Is it a rainy day? Here's a chance to brighten someone's life up no matter what the weather outside your window. All you are going to do is make a birthday card for a senior. Dorot has a greeting card project that helps bring joy and celebration to some of our frail and isolated seniors. All you do is make your card, send it to Dorot, and they do the rest. This would be a great activity for kids to do as a group. Click here to find out more.
7.Women's rights... does that sound really 1970's to you? But it's not that way all around the world. Please take some time to visit the Women's Learning Partnership to find out what is needed to ensure women's rights all over the world. Start reading here, and then go to what sounds interesting to you. Sign up for updates, like their page on Facebook, or just stay on their site and find out more about women all over. It may lead you to some action of your own.
8. I have a great passion for an organization called Shining Hope for Communities. I believe they are heading in the right direction both in how they came about, and how they integrate their efforts. I'm co-sponsoring a little girl's education there. But all you need to do with your thirty minutes today is read through their site. Try and understand the rationale behind their model. Does it work for you? If so, you may want to donate or follow what they do!