I have one hour
1. This is going to be a thoughtful hour spent at the CARE website. CARE, founded in 1945, works to fight global poverty with a particular emphasis on women. Surely you've heard the term "care package" but you've probably never thought about where it originated! Today I'm sending you to the CARE Action Network. If you read and scroll down to the bottom of the page you will find a list of Advocacy Actions. Click on what interests you and take action. Then, if you still have some time to spare, explore the rest of the site. In one short hour you've done something to help and you've educated yourself.
2. Equality Now is an organization formed in 1993 that works to end violence and discrimination against women and girls around the world through the mobilization of public pressure.Their website is a little complicated to navigate, but if you take a look at the issues they are tackling I feel 100% sure that you will find at least one that moves you. For current actions by date, click here. I'm putting this in the one hour category, but it might take a little more time because it involves writing some letters. Think 1-2 hours for this one.
3. Go green. Easily said, easily understood and a little overwhelming these days. That's why I think you should take an hour to investigate some actions you can take with the New Dream. This is a well-organized website that has a lot of solid links to actions you can take. Worth an hour of your time!
4. This one only works if you are a compulsive shoe buyer! Just kidding... all you need to have are shoes in your closet that you've barely worn (i.e. shopping mistake) and then you can donate them. So the first thing you're going to do is search your closets for shoes that are in "gently used" condition or better. Then you're going to pack them up in a box, and then take the box to the closest location that accepts shoes for Soles4Souls. If there isn't a location close to you, you'll have to take them to the post office or UPS for shipping. So if your boots are made for walking, that's just what they will do. Soles4Souls will get them to someone who needs them. Your closet is neater and someone gets a needed pair of shoes. Win, Win.
5. This is exciting. I'm sending you overseas! I am just so impressed with PlanUSA's use of technology to enable you to visit the villages that they work with. Please spend your hour by checking out the Because I am a Girl page and then click here to get involved. PlanUSA has been helping children since 1937.